Food Safety Inspection

Manitoba Agriculture oversees food safety in provincial food processing establishments that manufacture and distribute food for sale only within Manitoba. 
There are two types of inspections conducted by Manitoba Agriculture health officers:

Federal Processing and Distribution

Federal licensing and inspection applies to manufacturers who produce food products that will be traded internationally or inter-provincially.
Food processing establishments that hold a Safe Food for Canadians (SFC) license but are not routinely inspected by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) e.g., at least once per year, may also be required to have a provincial permit and inspection.

Food Service and Retail

Public health inspectors from Manitoba Health, Seniors and Long-Term Care conduct permitting and inspection of food retail establishments such as restaurants, cafes, take-outs, catering facilities, mobile vending carts, grocery stores, farmers markets and temporary food events at fairs or festivals.

Who to Contact When You Have a Food Safety Complaint

Depending on your concern, and the type of food business involved, there are different departments you should contact.  Please refer to this document for guidance to determine who to contact.
For more information email the Food Safety and Inspection Branch or call 204-795-8418 in Winnipeg.