Manitoba's Controlled Crop Residue Burning Program

Daily Authorizations
Daily Authorizations are made by 11:00 A.M. On some days, burning will be authorized only by permit.
The daily authorizations will indicate when burning can start; when fires must be out, and if a permit is required. 
Click on the English or French links below to read the crop residue burning authorizations for today:

     Button displays Daily Message which is link for english version           Button displays Message quotidien which is link for french version

  • 1-800-265-1233 toll free


Smoke from burning crop residues affects people's health, road safety and the environment. Manitoba's smoke management plan encourages practical and responsible ways of dealing with crop residue.

If you must burn, you must adhere to Manitoba's Controlled Crop Residue Burning Program (PDF 216 KB) 

  • The Manitoba Controlled Crop Residue Burning Program is in place annually from August 1 to November 15. Based on weather conditions, start and end times for burning will be established. 
  • In addition to the Manitoba Controlled Crop Residue Burning Program, check and follow all other provincial and local burning requirements.
  • For the Rural Municipalities of Rosser, Headingley, St. François Xavier, Cartier, Macdonald, Ritchot, Taché, Springfield, East St. Paul and West St. Paul, a burning permit is required from August 1 to November 15. 
  • If a permit is issued, the start and end times will be specified on the permit.
How to Apply for a Permit

Application for permit to burn crop residue (PDF 260 KB)

Completed applications can be:

For more information about Manitoba Controlled Crop Residue Burning Program call  204-745-5646.


Manitoba Wildfire Services - Restriction Information

Open fires are prohibited from April 1 to November 15 annually except under a burning permit or in enclosed approved firepots such as grated campfire pits in provincial campsites.

During the wildfire season there may be times when high to extreme fire danger conditions require the Manitoba government to implement fire and travel restriction within the province.

Restrictions are limits placed on any activity that has the potential to cause a wildfire under the current or forecasted fire danger conditions. These activities could include travel, industrial operations, agricultural burning, fireworks, outdoor fires, and campfires. These restrictions are issued to protect you, your property and your community. 

For more information on areas with fire restrictions, municipal burning restrictions, and provincial park restrictions visit


Municipal Burning Restrictions

During times of high fire danger conditions, the Office of the Fire Commissioner (OFC) asks all municipalities to please inform the OFC immediately at when implementing or changing the status of municipal burning restrictions.
Any permits issued by other local authorities are also required.
To learn about Burning Restrictions in effect, select a Rural Municipality (RM) using the map at
Source:  Office of Fire Commissioner
Burning within the boundaries of the City of Winnipeg requires a special permit.  Permits must be applied for in person at the Fire Department-Fire Prevention Branch, located at 2nd Floor, 185 King St. between the hours of 8:30AM and 4:00PM.


Land within the  Burning Permit Area  is designated under the Wildfires Act and requires a permit issued by Manitoba Natural Resources and Northern Development.


Know your zone

Red River/Southeast Zone

Soutwest Zone 

Northwest Zone 

Westlake/Interlake Zone 

The regulation

Burning of Crop Residue and Non-Crop Herbage (Regulation 77/93) (PDF 129KB) was enacted in 1993 to deal with the legal aspects of crop residue burning.

  • Prohibits night burning of crop residues and non-crop plant material in yards, rights-of-way, ditches, native pastures and waste areas all year round.
  • Places additional restrictions on daytime burning of crop residue from August 1 through November 15 by permitting burning only in authorized municipalities during certain hours.
  • Provides information via a toll-free phone line and an internet webpage each day from August 1 to November 15 to advise individuals about whether burning is authorized in their municipality on that day and, if so, during which hours. 
  • If burning is authorized, the final decision to light the fire is up to you, so use common sense:
    • Burn only within the hours specified in the daily authorization.
    • Ensure fires are supervised at all times.
    • Ensure the area has been adequately fire guarded to prevent the spread of fires.
    • Ensure smoke will not create an unreasonable hazard to people's health or highway safety.

For more information

  • Contact Manitoba Agriculture at 204-745-5646.
  • To report illegal burning, contact the Environment Officer at your local Manitoba Environment and Climate Change office.
    The after-hours emergency line is: 204-944-4888.
  • To report hazardous driving conditions caused by smoke from crop residue burning, please notify the RCMP or your local municipal police.