Rent Assist

Rent Assist For Manitobans Receiving EIA Fact Sheet

Rent Assist For Manitobans Receiving EIA Fact Sheet - PDF Version

Flexible, Portable Shelter Benefits for Employment and Income Assistance Clients

Rent Assist is a shelter benefit for people who receive Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) benefits and pay rent in the private market. Rent Assist is portable, so people who leave income assistance for training and jobs can continue to receive help paying their rent. Maximum Rent Assist benefit levels have been increased to 77 per cent of median market rent.

I am getting or applying for EIA benefits. Will Rent Assist help with my housing costs?

When you apply for EIA, your eligibility for Rent Assist will also be assessed. If you are already getting EIA benefits, you automatically receive Rent Assist for your housing costs.

How much can I receive from Rent Assist while I am receiving EIA benefits?

If you are receiving EIA and have private rental costs, you automatically qualify for the maximum Rent Assist amount no matter what your actual rent is.

If you are not paying rent in the private market, the amount of Rent Assist you receive will be based on things like:

  • your mortgage payments, taxes and other fees if you own your home
  • the number of people in your family
  • whether you live in a Manitoba Housing unit, have other subsidized housing benefits or are paying rent in unsubsidized housing
  • whether your utility costs (ex: heat, electricity, water) are included in your rent

How are benefits paid?

Your Rent Assist will be included with your monthly EIA payment as long as you are receiving EIA benefits.

Are Rent Assist benefits going to go up?

Each July, Rent Assist benefits will go up if there has been an increase in the median market rent.

How do I apply for Rent Assist?

If you are applying for EIA benefits, your eligibility for Rent Assist will also be assessed.

To apply for EIA, call 204-948-4000 in Winnipeg; toll free 1-855-944-8111; 1-800-855-0511 (Manitoba Relay Service).

To find an office near you, visit our website.

In Winnipeg:

Outside Winnipeg:

What happens to my Rent Assist benefit when my EIA file closes?

When you leave EIA, you may be eligible to continue to get money to help pay your shelter costs from Rent Assist. You must be renting in the private market to be eligible to keep getting Rent Assist after you leave EIA. The amount you receive will depend on your income, the number of people in your household and the current median market rent for an apartment.

Rent Assist is not available to people not on EIA who are living in subsidized housing or who own their own home.

EIA staff can help you find out if you are eligible to keep receiving Rent Assist and will help with your application. You can also check if you are eligible using the online calculator.

If you are not receiving EIA and are only applying for Rent Assist, you can download an application form

To have an application form mailed to you, call Provincial Services at 204-948-7368 in Winnipeg; toll free 1-877-587-6224 or TTY 204-948-3698.