How to Apply for Employment and Income Assistance

How do I apply?

If you live in the City of Winnipeg to begin your application:

  1. Call 204-948-4000. If you are deaf or hard-of-hearing, call 1-800-855-0511 (Manitoba Relay Service);

  2. Visit in-person at the 111 Rorie Street office. If you have children or require accessibility services, we will be pleased to help you at 128 Market Avenue. You will be seen on a first come, first served basis. We may not be able to start your application if you arrive after 3:00 p.m.

If you live outside Winnipeg:

  1. Call toll free 1-855-944-8111 to book an appointment. If you are deaf or hard-of-hearing, call 1-800-855-0511 (Manitoba Relay Service);

  2. Visit in-person at your local Regional Social Services office (outside of Winnipeg). See a list of offices in Rural and Northern Manitoba at:

Who Can Apply for EIA?

All Manitobans can apply for Employment and Income Assistance (EIA).

If you have no other way to support yourself or your family, you may be eligible for financial help for basic needs such as food, clothing and personal amounts, as well as coverage for essential health needs not provided through another program.

If you have shelter costs, your application with EIA will also be used to see if you are eligible for shelter-related financial supports available through Rent Assist.

If you are eligible for EIA and Rent Assist, you will receive a single monthly payment for both benefits.

If you are able to work, EIA will help you go back to work by providing supports to employment.

For more information on EIA eligibility and benefits that you may receive, please look at the EIA Brochures that best fits your household situation.

What Will I Need to do to Apply for EIA?

To see what information and documents you need to bring to your intake appointment, you can click on the following:

If you have recently quit, were fired, or refused a job without a good reason, or just cause, your application for EIA may be affected. Please review the Reasons for Leaving or Refusing a Job brochure for more information on what you need to do if this situation applies to you.  

If you have an outstanding warrant for certain serious offences (see Schedule C of The Assistance Regulation for a list), your application for EIA may be affected. For more information, review the EIA Outstanding Warrants policy.

What Will Happen at my EIA Intake Appointment?

In order to see if you are eligible for EIA, there are some basic questions EIA staff will ask you about:

    • you and your family’s situation
    • your housing
    • your income (money you earn or get from another source)
    • your assets (savings, investments, items of value)
    • your education, work status and history and your plans to find work
    • any medical conditions and health needs that may keep you from working  
    • any legal problems you have

The EIA Intake Information Checklist will help make sure that you bring the right information and documents to your intake appointment to answer these questions.

People who are married or live as common-law couples must apply for EIA together.

You can also see samples of the EIA Application Forms  that apply to you to find out about other questions you may be asked at your intake appointment.  However, you will still be required to complete a formal EIA Application Form at your intake appointment.

To find out where the EIA office that you need to go to is located, click on the following

If you live outside of Winnipeg