Unlicensed Private Home Child Care

What is the law about private home child care?

In Manitoba, a person can provide private home child care, without a provincial licence, to a maximum of four children under age 12. No more than two of these children can be under age 2. These numbers include the care provider’s own children and any other children living in the home.

The provincial government does not monitor unlicensed private home child care. If you know of a private home child care that is caring for children over the numbers allowed by law, call the Early Learning and Child Care Program at 204-945-0776 or toll-free 1-888-213-4754, or email cdcinfo@gov.mb.ca. All reports are investigated. If it is discovered that a private home child care is caring for more children than the number allowed, the provider can choose to become licensed, reduce the number of children attending the home, or close the child care home.

What are some of the things I should look for in an unlicensed child care home?

  • Is the home following the law by only caring for the maximum number of children allowed?

  • Does the home appear to be safe, clean and inviting?

  • Does the home have emergency exits and basic safety devices such as smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and fire extinguishers?

  • Does the provider have a Criminal Records Check and Child Abuse Registry Check available for you to see?

  • Who else lives in the home and do they also have Criminal and Child Abuse Record Checks available for you to see?

  • Does the provider have any special training for working with children?

  • Is the provider certified in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and First Aid?

  • What is the provider’s experience working with children?

  • Does the provider interact with children in a positive way?

  • Is there a good supply and variety of toys and equipment?

  • Are the toys, equipment and play spaces (indoor and outdoor) safe and in good condition?

  • Are parents welcomed into the home and allowed inside when they drop off and pick up their children?

  • Does the provider encourage parents to visit their child at any time?

  • If snacks or meals are served, is there a menu plan available to see and is the food nutritious?

Where can I get more information?

Provincial licensing sets standards to ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in licensed child care. A Guide to Child Care in Manitoba explains the types of child care available in Manitoba and what to look for when choosing licensed child care.

If you are using unlicensed care, you are not eligible to receive any provincial subsidies to help with your child care fees.

Early Learning and Child Care Program 210-114 Garry Street, Winnipeg MB R3C 4V4

Email: cdcinfo@gov.mb.ca

Phone: 204-945-0776 Toll-free: 1-888-213-4754 Fax: 204-948-2625 TTY: 204-945-3724

Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m