What Do I Need to Do to Become Licensed?

  • Make sure that my family is ready and supportive of this home business opportunity.

  • Complete and submit a licence application to the Early Learning and Child Care Program.

  • Complete the required background checks, including: a criminal record check, a criminal history self disclosure statement and information release consent, a child abuse registry check and a prior contact check with Child and Family Services for myself and all applicable persons residing in my home.

  • Complete a record of child care residents/staff for licensed family/group child care homes for each resident of my home.

  • Submit two reference checks (individuals that have observed me caring for children). These references must be provided by someone other than relatives.

  • Have my home checked for basic health and safety. My home is suitable if it has two exits from the first level directly to the outside.
    • Note:
      You will need to have a fire extinguisher, smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors, and a first aid kit.
      All hazardous products must be locked and inaccessible.
  • Have sufficient space, toys and equipment for the number and ages of children in care.

  • Take a CPR and First Aid training that focuses on children under the age of 12.

  • Have comprehensive general liability insurance, once I am licensed, to protect myself and the families in my care.

  • Complete an approved 40 hour course within my first year of being licensed.

  • Prepare to work with the Early Learning and Child Care Program to have my home-based child care program licensed and monitored.

Early Learning and Child Care Program 210-114 Garry Street, Winnipeg MB R3C 4V4

Email: cdcinfo@gov.mb.ca

Phone: 204-945-0776 Toll-free: 1-888-213-4754 Fax: 204-948-2625 TTY: 204-945-3724

Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m