Mentally Incompetent Adults

Private Committees

An appropriate family member or friend of a mentally incompetent person who is capable of acting as committee may apply to court to be appointed the person's Private Committee. This court application usually requires the services of a lawyer. If the court appoints a committee, it usually orders that the associated legal fees be paid from the client's estate.

Once appointed, the Private Committee has certain duties and responsibilities. Click here to view our Committeeship Guidebook (pdf - 47 pages, 423 kb).

back to top