Do I Need a Licence?

The Classes of Development Regulation lists those activities that require a licence under The Environment Act prior to construction, operation or alteration.

The Dangerous Goods Handling and Transportation Act requires licensing prior to construction, operation or alteration of hazardous waste disposal facilities.

If you are unsure if your proposed activity or development requires a licence please contact us. The licensing process is essentially the same for both The Environment Act and The Dangerous Goods Handling and Transportation Act. The licensing process is a transparent, public process:

Guidance is provided for proponents preparing an Environment Act Proposal:

Water and Wastewater Facility Operator Certification Program

Incinerator Registration

Information Bulletins:

What terms and conditions will be in the licence?

Licences are site-specific and are developed through the environmental assessment and licensing process to address concerns raised by the public and the technical advisory committee. They may include requirements for pre-construction, construction, operation, monitoring, reporting, decommissioning and financial assurance. All licences are posted in the online public registry.