Don't Move Firewood!

Return to previous page

Firewood spreads destructive invasive forest pest. You cannot easily tell if firewood is infested with an invasive pest, and you never know what might be in it. Only use firewood that has been cut locally or heat treated, and help slow the spread of invasive forest pests.

What is the problem with invasive forest insects and diseases?

  • Invasives are a serious threat to Manitoba's trees.
  • Invasive are introduced species that negatively impact new environments causing environmental, ecological and economic damage.
  • Emerald ash borer, an invasive forest pest originating from Asia, has been confirmed in Winnipeg. It is spread by the movement of infested ash material like firewood.

What forest pests are spread by moving firewood?

Dutch elm disease is an invasive forest pest that is now well established in Manitoba and was likely introduced through the movement of infested firewood into the province by campers. Other invasive forest pests that are threatening to spread to Manitoba through the movement of firewood include emerald ash borer, Asian long-horned beetle, and mountain pine beetle.

I am not supposed to move firewood and should get it locally. What does this mean?

When you are buying firewood ask questions. Try to purchase firewood that was cut down close to where you are going to burn it. Don't bring wood from cities and towns to cottages and campgrounds and vis versa. Reducing the movement of firewood helps reduce the spread of forest invasive species.

Are there any laws about moving or storing wood?

Yes. The following restrictions apply (note: these may change as other infestations are identified):

  • Firewood of any species is restricted from leaving the City of Winnipeg
  • Ash wood and products are restricted from leaving the City of Winnipeg
  • Ash wood cannot be brought into Manitoba from Ontario or Quebec.
  • Barked pine wood cannot be brought into Manitoba from BC, parts of AB, and parts of SK unless it has been heat treated.
  • You cannot store elm wood unless it has been debarked, chipped, or heat treated. Elm wood should only be moved if it is being taken to a disposal site (usually the local landfill).
  • You cannot bring firewood of any species into Canada from the U.S.

For more information on laws surrounding firewood and the movement of wood please see:

The Forest Health Protection Act and Regulations
Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Plant Protection Act

What does it mean if an area is regulated for a pest in Manitoba?

Regulated areas are areas that are quarantined for certain plant products to help slow the spread of invasive species. The City of Winnipeg is regulated for the movement of firewood and ash wood because EAB was confirmed in Winnipeg on November 30, 2017. Firewood and ash products cannot leave the city of Winnipeg, because these plant products have a high risk of moving EAB into un-infested areas of Manitoba.

How do I know if I am in a regulated area?

Information on emerald ash borer regulated areas will be updated on the Forestry and Peatlands Branch EAB website.

What kind of firewood is safe to move?

Firewood that has been heat treated is usually safe to move (but cannot be moved outside of regulated areas).

I cut down a tree in my yard, can I take that wood with me camping?

No, you should not take wood from home to your cabin or to Manitoba's parks and campgrounds. In many cases, you cannot easily know if a tree was affected by an invasive forest pest or disease, and you could unknowingly spread a pest like emerald ash borer to new areas.

I already moved firewood, what should I do?

If you accidentally have firewood with you when travelling into Manitoba from another province, you can dispose of firewood at orange drop-off bins that are located near the Saskatchewan border on the Trans Canada Highway (at Kirkella) and Yellowhead Highway (at Russell), near the Ontario border on the Trans Canada Highway (at Whiteshell Provincial Park), and on Highway 75 at the Emerson Travel Manitoba center.

Otherwise, you can burn it quickly in accordance with local by-laws, or take it to a designated disposal site (usually the local landfill). If you are in a regulated area, please consult your municipality for more information on where you can take your wood.

For more information please contact:

Forestry and Peatlands Management
Forestry Branch Tree Line at