Quick Escape  


Family Conciliation Services

Family Conciliation Services provides a range of conflict resolution services to families going through separation or divorce. Services are offered at no cost and are provided in two ways: at the request of the court, or directly to family members.

Parent Information Program

For the Sake of the Children is a supportive information program offered to parents to help them understand what they are going through, both legally and emotionally and to learn more about the needs of children upon separation. New court rules make program attendance mandatory for Manitobans who are requesting or responding to requests for interim or final orders in the Court of Queen’s Bench or the Provincial Court for child custody, access, or private guardianship.


Information and Referral

This service assesses a person's needs and assists the person to determine whether the appropriate service can be best provided by Family Conciliation, lawyers or the court, or through agencies in the community.



This service is an alternative to traditional court action for parents who are willing to meet and work together with an impartial, trained mediator to make decisions about the ongoing needs of their children after separation. Parents can also mediate all of their financial issues arising from their separation, such as child support, spousal support and division of marital property. The latter service is called Comprehensive Co-mediation and involves a lawyer mediator, as well as a trained family relations mediator.


Conciliation Counselling

This short-term counselling is provided to individuals, couples or families in the process of separation or divorce. It is not marriage or couple counselling and is focused on short term problem solving and provision of support and information.


Support and Education Programs for Children and Teens

Caught in the Middle is a group for children ages 8 to 12 whose parents are in conflict over separation and divorce issues. Just for Teens is an informational seminar for teens ages 12 – 17. It provides neutral information regarding the separation process, changes that occur to the family, how to cope with their feelings, in addition to legal issues. Teens are encouraged to think beyond the divorce and to concentrate on their needs as they adjust to life in two homes. In the Brandon area, community-based group discussion and information is offered as a workshop for children ages 14-17 years to help with adjustment to parental separation.


Grandparent and Family Access Support

A Grandparent Advisor service offers support, information, counselling and mediation to grandparents and family members seeking access to children. A grandparent support group is offered in Winnipeg and meets monthly from September to June.


Brief Consultation Service

This is a court referred service that provides a brief consultation to parents and the court to help address the wishes or concerns of older children ages 11 to 16. A short report is forwarded to the court with recommendations on access issues.


Court-Ordered Assessment

When separating parents are unable to agree upon decisions about their children, the court may direct Family Conciliation Services to conduct an assessment of the family situation to help determine what is in the best interests of the children.


First Choice Service

First Choice is a brief confidential evaluation service. It is a combination of assessment, mediation and settlement conferencing designed to help parents resolve their custody or access issues in a timely way. The service is an alternative to a traditional court- ordered assessment and is available to parents, grandparents and other extended family members upon referral from the court. A male and female counselling team provides the service and participation of legal counsel is encouraged as part of the process.


Family Conciliation Services provides a range of conflict resolution services to families going through separation or divorce. You may be referred to Family Conciliation by the court, by your lawyer, legal aid, a social service agency or you may decide to come on your own.