The Traffic Engineering Branch enhances the safety and efficiency of vehicular and pedestrian traffic on
the provincial highway network by providing specialized traffic, operations, engineering support, standards
- Manage and direct the installation, maintenance and operation of all traffic control devices including
traffic signals, major signs, flashing lights and pedestrian corridors, and traffic barriers (guardrails).
- Establish standards/policies for the installation and maintenance of all traffic control devices.
- Manage and direct speed limit reviews and provides recommendations to the Highway Traffic Board
respecting speed limits on provincial routes.
- Provide expertise respecting traffic control within the Engineering and Operations Division, and to other departments and jurisdictions.
- Manage and direct the illumination of provincial highways.
- Manage and direct the traffic monitoring program including the production of an annual report on traffic flows on the provincial highway system.
- Maintain a database traffic collision record on provincial highways to assist in the identification of problem areas and the development and evaluation of mitigation measures.
- Manage railway crossing safety on the provincial road network.
Contact Traffic Engineering
Documents, Drawings and Specifications
Traffic Counts (University of Manitoba Transportation Information Group)