Notice to Hunters
Handling and Preparing Wild Meat
Hunters can ensure that any wild game they harvest is safe to eat by following a few simple precautions:
- Avoid contact with any wild animal that appears to be sick.
- During field dressing:
- Wear disposable rubber or latex gloves.
- Thoroughly wash hands and tools afterwards with soap and
- Alcohol-based hand cleaner can be used if hands are not
- Dispose of bird remains after field dressing in a way that will
prevent scavengers from contacting them.
- Avoid handling and consuming brain, eye, lymphatic or spinal
- Cool meat immediately to a temperature of 4°C or lower.
- When preparing and cooking wild game use common food
- Thaw and marinate meats in the refrigerator.
- Never refreeze thawed meat.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure wild game is properly
cooked - as a general rule cook wild game until the juices